Friday, April 25, 2014

Social Life

In order to remain in a delicate balance of self-awareness, you must rely on your biases, but keep them in check. Biases are helpful when used in the correct way. Cognitive shortcuts can cause problems when we're not aware of them and we apply them inappropriately, leading to rash decisions or discriminatory practices (based on sexism, racism, etc). 

Being the human beings we are (social animals) our relationship with our primary caregiver (usually our mother) typically influences all aspects throughout our life. Without positive relationships, both our mind and body fall apart, because the tenor of our social life is one of the most important influences on our mental health.

   Most of us fight an internal battle with our biases and preferences. This includes prejudice, since the beginning of time prejudice  has been a main concern and argumentative piece in history. Predijuidce is not only based on race, but also, gender, ethnicity, and economic standing. We, as humans, must learn how to use our biases, preferences and prejudice in the correct way. I, myself, have to work on how I think about certain things or people before I've tried it met them. Being the picky and shy person that I am, there are few "new" foods that I will even think of trying and very few new people that I will talk to or approach. As I try to help myself by learning how to use my bias and predjudice in the right way, I will also help others to do the same. If we could all learn how to correctly use them, this world would be made up of less war and fighting. Everyone should learn and needs to learn to love one another, just as they love themselves. 

No comments:

Post a Comment